Classic Pizza Sauce
Recipe by Ooni
Simplicity at its finest, our super easy, no-nonsense Classic Pizza Sauce creates the perfect complement for layering up your pizza toppings of choice.
Made using a stovetop (hob) rather than in your Ooni, this recipe is an excerpt from our cookbook, Ooni: Cooking with Fire. “Juicy and sweet tomatoes with a hint of garlic, salt and basil make this the ideal pizza sauce for enhancing the flavor of your Classic Pizza Dough base,” says Ooni CEO Kristian Tapaninaho. Choosing good quality tomatoes will make a difference to the flavor of your sauce—we like to go for canned San Marzano tomatoes, which are the traditional choice for Neapolitan pizzas.
Makes enough sauce for one 8 x 12 inch pizza.
Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 4 cups (800g) canned whole plum tomatoes (we like San Marzano)
- 2 heaped tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Place the oil in a pan over a medium heat. When warm, add the garlic and fry until softened but not brown.
- Pour the can of plum tomatoes in the pan and use a masher or fork to crush them down.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, then simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes, or until the flavor has deepened and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- This sauce can be used straight away, or placed in an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to a week, ready to be used as required.