Style & Design
9 Urban Industrial Décor Ideas: Chic Style No Matter Where You Live
Living in a warehouse loft isn't a prerequisite for urban industrial décor. If you love gritty yet chic interior design, you can embrace the hip look—in one room or throughout your home. We've rounded up some of our favorite urban industrial style elements to get your creative gears spinning.
1. Industry-Inspired Wall Art
Make a statement with bold industrial wall art. Choose art that uses metal as a medium, whether the metal is copper, bronze, brass, or nickel. Or, you can look for paintings, prints, and photographs that feature industrial subject matter.
Industrial wall art inspiration:
- A collection of three-dimensional metal film reels in various finishes.
- A framed painting or triptych of a city-scape.
- A galvanized wrought iron clock
- A metal wall panel with a vintage airplane
2. Exposed Brick Walls
Exposed bricks are classic elements of urban industrial décor. If you have a brick wall hidden behind drywall, uncover the wall to reveal its color and texture. If the brick wall is painted, you can repaint the wall or have it stripped. If you don't have a brick wall, you can replace an existing wall with brick or opt for brick veneer. (Note: These are challenging tasks that likely require the help of professionals, unless you have an experienced mason in the household.) Finally, a floor-to-ceiling brick fireplace fills in nicely as an industrial-chic accent wall.
Draw attention to the bricks with industrial wall art and warehouse-style pendant lighting. But don't overwhelm the space—you want the brick to stay exposed and share its warm color.
3. Construction-Site Dining and Accent Tables
Look for elegant dining, side, and coffee tables crafted from materials you'd find at a construction site, such as steel, wood, and concrete. These pieces may be sturdy and blocky, or they may have a refined design despite the rough-and-ready source materials. You'll find some tables in this style made with recycled wood or metals.
Construction-site table inspiration:
- A ugged waxed-concrete and wood dining table with exposed bolts
- An elegant concrete and oak coffee table
- An antiqued-iron coffee table with legs riveted in place
- A concrete, wood, and metal side table with a modern silhouette
4. Warehouse Ceiling Fan Light
These chic ceiling fans pull double duty. But rather than keeping the factory or warehouse cool, they keep the air circulating in your home while also providing ambient light.
Warehouse ceiling fan inspiration:
- Wood and polished nickel ceiling fan lights that resemble an airplane propeller
- Chrome ceiling fan light with two adjustable fans
- Ceiling fan lights with exposed bulbs inside seeded glass shades and wire cages
5. Modern Industrial Sculptures
Add a dash of industrial-style to accent tables, shelves, and bookcases with sculptures inspired by modern machines and tools. Look for rugged sculptures and figurines crafted with metal forged into familiar silhouettes from the industrial era.
Industrial sculpture inspiration:
- Industrial gear figurines crafted in aged steel
- A dynamic collection of interconnected iron rings featuring varied metallic finishes
- Metal reproduction of an antique movie projector
- Set of three geometric metallic spheres
6. Industrial Racks and Storage
Modern elegance and sturdy design converge in warehouse-inspired racks, shelving, and storage elements. Look for bookshelves, racks, and storage with visible construction elements or a rough-hewn vintage quality.
Industrial rack and storage inspiration:
- Open-back bookshelf or shelving unit with a forged iron frame and shelves crafted of wood and glass
- Wood and wire basket shelving unit with antique numbering on each basket
- Tiered steel corner gourmet stand for pots
- Chic and compact studded metal cabinet with a mid-century modern silhouette
7. Warehouse-Chic Chandeliers and Pendants
These fixtures put a sophisticated spin on workhorse fixtures. Explore linear chandeliers and pendants with functional metal shades polished for a modern look or burnished for a vintage finish. When designed with pipes, the fixtures convey a distinctive steampunk style.
Warehouse chandelier and pendant inspiration:
- Satin nickel island pendant with clean lines and curved wires incorporated into the design
- A wrought-iron island chandelier with pipework and wire cage bulb protectors
- Oxidized metal linear chandelier
- Mix and match smoked glass pendants
8. Industrial-Style Seating
Seating crafted with metal and showcasing functional style is a staple of industrial décor. Look for chairs, benches, and stools with exposed rivets, distressed paint. Or, explore chairs and benches where fabric or leather provides a chic contrast to burnished metal.
Industrial seating inspiration:
- Minimalist wood and metal storage benchs
- Solid hardwood and iron benches
- Metal counter stools with a distressed paint finish
9. Urban Warehouse Table and Floor Lamps
These accent lamps make a great finishing touch on an industrial-style bedroom or living room. They're also an excellent way to add low-key industrial elements when you want to feature the style as a secondary accent.
Urban warehouse accent lamp inspiration:
- Pipe and faucet table lamps with exposed bulbs
- Task table lamps with double-hinged arms
- Metal tripod floor lamps with an antique bronze finish and linen shade
Though industrial style showcases metal elements, distressed wood, and exposed brick, it should also be warm and welcoming. Soften the edges of pure industrial décor by blending warehouse-style elements with soft furnishings and cozy colors and accents. You'll love the results!